Professional. Responsive. Trusted.
Who We Are
When it comes to getting results for clients, experience and expertise are essential.
On August 1, 2018, a talented team of like-minded, seasoned school lawyers jointed together to form Peters Kalail & Markakis Co., L.P.A. Our firm is strategically designed to align resources and talent, leverage experience, and add depth to our established practices. Through this collaboration, we believe the law firm of Peters Kalail & Markakis is a premier school law firm dedicated to providing responsive and effective legal counsel to educational institutions throughout Ohio.
Our legal team pledges the delivery of legal services with irrefutably ethical behavior; professionalism in all endeavors; and effective, efficient, and timely service. We are committed to providing a fresh perspective and fostering a team approach to understanding and responding to the needs of our clients.
We believe that by using a team of school lawyers with a focused range of skill sets and experiences we will ultimately save our clients time and money and provide better representation in the long run.
We have made a conscientious and deliberate effort to offer our clients a small, boutique law firm that can single-handedly address almost all legal needs encountered by our clients.
Our success in this competitive environment is derived from establishing trust and growing relationships through the provision of responsive legal services ~ clearly, honestly and with integrity.
In addition to providing legal representation to many public school districts, our practice extends to educational service centers, STEM schools, community schools, and community school sponsors and management companies. We proudly serve as legal counsel to the Ohio Schools Council (“OSC”), a consortium of 200 school districts, educational service centers, joint vocational districts, and DD boards in 21 northern Ohio counties. We are also general counsel to and provide regular policy consultation for Neola®, the largest provider of board policies and guidelines in Ohio.
The following characteristics help to distinguish Peters Kalail & Markakis and uniquely qualify us to perform your legal work:
- Collectively, our attorneys have over 125 years of experience in representing Ohio's educational institutions.
- All of our attorneys have represented educational institutions for a majority of their years in practice.
- Many of our attorneys work in more than one school law practice area, allowing us to provide our clients the effective service they expect and deserve.
- We currently represent over 75 schools and educational service centers.
- Same-Day Response
- Dealing with legal matters can often be a highly emotional and stressful time. Not knowing when your lawyer is going to get back to you does not help matters, particularly when it is an important issue that needs an urgent response.
- We acknowledge the importance of availability and promises that when you contact us you will hear back from us the very same day, even if it is just an acknowledgment while a more detailed reply is prepared.
- Our attorneys are available 24/7 and our clients are provided with our cell phone numbers.
- Lead Attorneys With Relevant and Significant Experience
- As a leader in the area of school law, we understand the need for seasoned and trustworthy attorneys who become a part of your extended team and contribute to your preparedness to respond to legal challenges.
We are in the school business and are uniquely poised to understand the issues and challenges educational institutions face.
Our Philosophy and Commitment
Our lawyers adhere to the philosophy that proactively working with clients to eliminate potential problems is a trademark of competent legal services. Our in-service presentations, frequent public speaking engagements, website, blog, and ongoing attorney-client communications provide platforms for preventive legal maintenance to help our clients avoid legal pitfalls in this highly regulated and ever-changing environment.
- Board counsel accessibility and responsiveness are crucial to our clients and their administrative teams. Clients can access our attorneys at any time for telephone consultation.
- Preventive legal maintenance is accomplished through relevant, proactive communication with clients, including electronic communications and in-services. Providing these services at a reasonable fee is our commitment to our clients.
- A solid understanding of the legal issues impacting education is vital to the administration and management of schools and educational service centers. It is our role to help clients avoid legal pitfalls.
- Strong defense of lawsuits filed against our clients is achieved through thoughtful legal analysis, vigorous advocacy, and effective courtroom skills. We believe that regular communication with clients during the litigation process ensures they are confident and informed throughout each case.