David S Hirt
- Direct Phone: (216) 503-5082
- Fax: (216) 446-6032
6480 Rockside Woods Blvd. South, Suite 300 Cleveland, OH 44131
Phone:(216) 503-5055 Fax:(216) 446-6032
David Hirt advises boards of education and their administrators in all areas of education law, including special education, student enrollment and tuition issues, student discipline, labor and employment law, and responding to public and student records requests. He defends boards of education against administrative complaints, including allegations of discrimination before the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights, and the Ohio Civil Rights Commission. David's administrative practice also includes defending boards in complaints filed with the Ohio Department of Education, including special education due process complaints, and unfair labor practice charges filed with the Ohio State Employment Relations Board. He also defends boards and their employees in court against complaints alleging discrimination and other violations of state or federal law.
David represents boards at meetings with parents and school personnel, including special education meetings, student discipline hearings, and employee pre-disciplinary hearings (Loudermill hearings).
David is available to serve as a Title IX decision-maker (initial determination or appeal) for K-12 boards of education and schools as well as for institutions of higher education.
David is available to provide in-service training on a variety of education law issues.
ADMISSIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Admitted to practice law in all Ohio state courts, the U.S. District Courts for both the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Member of the Ohio State Bar Association and the Ohio Council of School Board Attorneys
- Graduated from The Maurer School of Law at Indiana University Bloomington (J.D., 1994) after spending a year as a visiting student at Case Western Reserve University School of Law in Cleveland, Ohio
- Received a Master of Science degree in geological sciences at Indiana University–Bloomington (M.S., 1988)
- Received a Bachelor of Science degree in geology from Kent State University (B.S., 1986)