Our firm provides counsel and sound advice for student legal issues ranging from drug testing to First Amendment rights. Drawing from extensive litigation experience with student claims in both state and federal court, we use our knowledge to deliver daily guidance to our clients.
If you seek advice before you act, you can implement your decisions with peace of mind. If you have already taken action, we can provide counsel and support to see you through to a resolution. And when time is tight, we can give your legal issues the swift attention they require.
Our services include:
- First Amendment issues, such as student dress and speech, school newspapers, school prayer, and distribution of religious and/or political materials;
- Equal Access Act and Title IX issues;
- Student records;
- Tuition and residency problems;
- Custody and guardianship issues;
- Child abuse reporting requirements;
- Peer-to-peer harassment, including discrimination and bullying;
- Student participation in extra-curricular activities, including drug testing;
- Home schooling and post-secondary enrollment questions;
- Student attendance issues; and
- Student discipline implementation and appeals.
We also review policies, codes of conduct, and student handbooks and provide in-service training so that all district staff are up to date on recent changes in the law.