Educational institutions must comply with numerous state and federal mandates regarding employment and policy practices. By consulting legal professionals before you act, you can reduce your exposure to liability, saving valuable time and money. Our experience in all aspects of employment law, from preventive counseling to lawsuit defense, provides us with a depth of knowledge that allows us to respond efficiently and effectively to our clients' concerns. We are available for in-services on employment matters and regularly defend schools in administrative proceedings before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the Ohio Civil Rights Commission (OCRC).
We advise on these and other key issues:
- Discipline and termination;
- Staff evaluation, including development and implementation of improvement plans, last chance agreements, and corrective action counseling;
- Hiring practices, including rehiring retirees;
- Compensation and fringe benefits;
- Contract non-renewal and suspension (reductions in force);
- Certification and licensure;
- Drug and alcohol testing;
- Harassment investigations;
- Discrimination based on protected status (sex, age, race, national origin, religion, etc.);
- Unemployment Compensation; and
- Interpretation and implementation of the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA), and COBRA.
TEAM: Karrie Kalail; Scott Peters; Maria Markakis; Albin Bauer; Sherrie Massey; Krista Keim